Meta-Brain Labs Member Enrollment Agreement
Through the MBL Platform, a MBL Chatbot Session connects Members with a chatbot that is designed to ask questions. Upon the user answering the question, brain waves are measured to validate whether the answer caused stress or not. If stress was detected another question is asked to probe for an answer that does not produce a stress response (indicated by brain waves). We do not treat, diagnose, or prescribe nor tell Members what course of action to take. Each Member is free to use the product for self- discovery and change, per their own design.
MBL Coaches are here to help our Members learn how to feel better by providing education, empathy, and knowledge about mindsets and how they either support stated goals or are a barrier to them. The chatbot sessions ask probing questions to identify unconscious mindsets, bringing them to the surface (consciously). Once mindsets are conscious Members can choose whether to change them or not, using Self-Affirmation.
The MBL assessment and Self-change services available to a Member will depend upon each Member’s service enrollment.
Depending on the Member’s enrollment, MBL Chatbot Session Members will have access to the following service(s):
- Cohort with up to 12 other Members to learn how to use the tools for self-assessment, self-change, independently.
- Community discussion(s) during the cohort with ability to extend beyond (stay with your group).
- Private sessions, one-on-one with a coach.
- Chatbot sessions using the EEG-enabled headset and the Meta-Brain Chatbot App.
- Content access using the Chatbot is based upon subscription level.
Depending on the Member’s enrollment, MBL Coaches may:
- Provide messaging support or telehealth services, via the MBL Platform, that are commensurate with the Member’s service selection.
- Provide education, Self-change plan guidance, and coaching.
- Respond to messaging within one business day, with education, empathy, and support.
- May contact Members unsolicited if there has been no contact from a Member in more than 24 hours or if there is a concern for the Member’s well-being.
For all services, and in accordance with applicable law and regulations:
- Inform Members of when an MBL Coaches will be unavailable and offer Members alternative MBL Coaches with whom Members can receive services.
- Review information provided by Members (e.g., activity, scores for screening measures) to inform coaching guidance.
- Refer to and collaborate with external clinical and support resources when indicated and at the Member’s consent.
People in the MBL community care about you. We understand that emergencies arise in people’s lives. MBL is not intended to be used in an emergency or considered a replacement for emergency services. You agree that in case of emergency you will call 911 (in the US and Canada), 999 (if in the UK), 000 (Australia), or contact emergency services in your country, or go safely to your nearest emergency room.
If you are in danger of harming yourself or others, please use the following resources to get immediate help:
Call 911 (US and Canada), 999 (UK), or 000 (Australia), or go safely to your nearest emergency room
- Text HOME to 741-741 to access the Crisis Text Line or visit https://www.crisistextline.org
- Call or text the Suicide and Crisis Lifeline at 988 or chat at https://988lifeline.org/chat/
- Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at (800) 273-TALK or (800) 273-8255 or chat at https://www.suicidepreventionlifeline.org
- Call the National Domestic Violence Hotline at (800) 799-SAFE or (800) 799-7233 or chat at https://www.thehotline.org/
- Call the Canada Suicide Prevention Service at 1-833-456-4566 (24/7) or text 45645 (4 pm to 12 am ET).
- Call the Kids Help Phone at 1-800-668-6868 (toll-free), text CONNECT to 686868, or visit https://kidshelpphone.ca/. Available 24/7 to Canadians aged 5 to 29 who want confidential and anonymous care from professional counselors.
- Text SHOUT to 85258 to access the Crisis Text line or visit https://www.crisistextline.uk/
- Or contact any of the following:
- AssistLine 0800-689-5652
- Hopeline UK 0800-068-4141
- Samaritans 116 123
- Call Refuge National Domestic Abuse Helpline 0808 2000 247
- Lifeline is a free, Australia-wide crisis support and suicide prevention service at https://www.lifeline.org.au/
For Other Countries:
- For more resources on suicide, click here: https://suicidepreventionlifeline.org/help-yourself/
- For more resources on self-harm, click here: http://www.selfinjury.bctr.cornell.edu/resources.html
As a requirement to access the MBL Chatbot Session Service, Members will need to provide MBL with their physical location at the time of Chatbot Session services and emergency contact information. Should Members refuse to provide an emergency contact, their local emergency number will be the default emergency contact.
Participation and Consent to Receive Services
You understand that you have the right to accept or decline any suggestions made by your MBL Coach. MBL does not guarantee any results or Self-change outcomes. While a Chatbot Session is helpful for most individuals, it may not benefit everyone.
Potential benefits from MBL services may be improvement in your understanding of how your unconscious mindsets direct your life and improvement in behavior upon their reversal. You understand that there are also potential risks from engaging in MBL services, including, but not limited to, the experience of unpleasant emotions and the possibility that, despite your best efforts and the efforts of the MBL Coach, your behavior may not be improved, and in some cases may even worsen. Attempting any program that offers change can stir up emotions that you were not aware of before and it may feel like you are worse. But this is the process, and we want to make it clear it can be your experience. We are here to help you through these phases that may come and go.
You understand that to receive effective Self-change, you will need to complete the screening process and progress questionnaires, to the best of your knowledge, with information that is accurate, correct, and not false or misleading.
You understand that for our MBL services to improve your Self-change experiences, you will be asked to provide us with feedback about your experience and needs throughout the term of your Cohort, community and Chatbot Session services.
You understand that telehealth-based services may have limited capabilities compared to in-person services. You also understand that if your MBL Coach believes they cannot appropriately provide you with the necessary services via telehealth, the MBL Coach will make their best effort to refer you to another Coach or other mental health professional, if agreed to, who can provide you such services, via telehealth or in-person. You understand that MBL Coaches have the right to refuse you service or the right to refer you to other appropriate mental health professionals in circumstances when, in their professional judgment, the MBL Coach feels that they lack the competency to provide you with the appropriate services.
You agree that in case of an emergency, you will immediately seek medical assistance including, as appropriate, calling your local emergency number or your local emergency access phone number, or presenting at your nearest emergency room.
You agree to provide us with your physical location and an emergency contact whom we may call in case of emergency.
You may be asked if it is permissible for a recorded or live observation of your session to occur. You understand that this would happen only with your consent, and its purpose would be for the evaluation of your Coach or for the purpose of training new Coaches. Note that there is no obligation to consent to observation or recording, and should you choose to deny consent, there will be no penalty or consequence of your doing so. If the session is recorded, once viewed, it would be permanently deleted. If a session is observed for auditing purposes, your Coach would receive feedback about their performance in the session and get tips for how to improve their delivery of a cohort or private session. If your session is observed, the observer(s) will have their camera and microphone turned off for the session to minimize any distraction.
Members are responsible for maintaining the security of their mobile devices or other electronic means used in accessing the MBL services. MBL strongly recommends using only password-protected device(s).
The content of the services is confidential. A record of digital and electronic communications with MBL will be maintained according to applicable law and ethical guidelines. Depending upon the services delivered, clinical documentation may also be completed via a HIPAA-compliant electronic medical record (EMR). This information will not be shared with a third party outside of the MBL platform without the consent (Release of Information or ROI) of the Member or the Member’s authorized custodian or legal representative. Exceptions to confidentiality will be made in accordance with, or as required by law, and may include, but are not limited to the following:
- If a Member’s MBL Coach reasonably believes the Member is in danger, physically or emotionally, to themselves or another person;
- If there is reasonable cause to suspect abuse or neglect of a minor or another vulnerable individual. MBL coaches are reporters. Though specific laws may vary by state, MBL’s Coaches are required by MLB to follow the law and uphold their Code of Ethics;
- If Members disclose that they are infected with a potentially life-threatening illness that could be transmitted to a specific uninformed person;
- If Members disclose sexual contact with an MLB coach with whom they have or had a professional coaching relationship;
- If MBL is obligated to disclose information pursuant to a court order or otherwise required by law; and
- If MBL, its employees, or agents utilize such information internally for MBL quality assurance reviews.
Members participating in cohorts are asked to keep the information learned within them confidential. While you may want to share your experience with friends, family, loved ones, we ask that you maintain the confidentiality of all other members by not identifying any member by name. We can’t ask you to say anything but ask instead that you protect the identity of all cohort members if speaking about an event, situation, or other occurrence learned within your cohort.
Please note that the community on the MBL App is monitored 24/7. Comments made in the community on the MBL platform may be forwarded to your MBL Coach and/or MBL staff if the messages include subjects of intent to self-harm, intent to harm others, or satisfaction/dissatisfaction with your Coach. If you post anything that concerns the community (e.g., excessive reassurance-seeking, suicidal ideation, intimidating behavior, etc.), your Coach may also be informed of the post(s). Discussion within the community is confidential also. You may elect to remain anonymous by creating a screen name and not sharing your identity with others. If speaking with others outside of the community about what is being discussed inside the community it should only be done without identifying any members identification.
Meta-Brain Chatbot App
The platform that drives the Meta-Brain Chatbot is HIPAA compliant. This means your records are secured and unavailable to anyone outside of technical, coach and content managers that are need-to-know employees, without your express permission. If we want to use your information in research, we will ask your permission and then anonymize your identity prior to its use.
Use of Technology
It is important for Members to know that using technology may come with additional risks. These risks include, but are not limited to the following:
- The possibility of technology failure resulting in a MBL Coach not receiving Members’ messages/information/inability to provide services;
- Text-based messaging communication increases the possibility of misunderstandings between the MBL Coaches and Members because of the absence of nonverbal/visual cues;
- In the event of a technology failure during the session, your MBL Coach will make every attempt to re-engage you in the session.
Though we take our commitment to confidentiality and data privacy very seriously and follow all applicable privacy laws and regulations such as HIPAA, confidentiality may be breached at many points when using electronic communication, including unauthorized monitoring/interception of transmissions. This means that unauthorized third parties could potentially access Members’ records/communication. By communicating with MBL Coaches via electronic methods, you understand and agree to these risks. If you have any questions regarding these risks prior to obtaining services from MBL, please contact us by e-mail at email@example.com.
MBL Research Mission
To further MBL’s research mission of better understanding mindsets, MBL collects de-identified data of Members. De-identified data is data for which individually identifiable health information has been removed. For more information on the MBL Research Mission and the MBL Ethics Council please visit our website. Post completion of the MBL Chatbot Session protocol, MBL will contact you at various points to ask you to complete some voluntary assessment measures to see how you are maintaining your gains.
You will also be sent surveys after your sessions, which are optional for you to complete. The results from those surveys may be shared with your Coach/MBL staff to help them to improve their work within the MBL process.
Acknowledgment and Agreement
- I understand that MBL is not intended to be used in an emergency or considered a replacement for emergency services or therapeutic services by a licensed professional.
- I agree to provide emergency contact information. I have read and understand my participation responsibilities as an enrollee of MBL Chatbot Session services.
- I agree to inform MBL of any changes in my contact or emergency contact information.
- I authorize MBL to conduct periodic quality assurance reviews of my services to ensure high-quality coaching.
- I agree to pay for services as determined by my service selection if not already covered by a sponsoring organization.
- I acknowledge that I can cancel my service enrollment at any time, but payment will be due in full for any services that were used.
- I agree to pay the full amount of my session fee if I cancel a private appointment less than 48 hours prior to the session or if I do not show for my appointment.
- I agree that de-identified data can be collected for research purposes.
- I understand that I am responsible to choose a private, secure, and distraction-free location when I use MBL Chatbot Session services.
- I understand that I am responsible for having secure, reliable internet service, as well as updating the MBL app and having technology that supports the most current version of the app.
- I have had the opportunity to ask questions and have my questions answered (Contact Us at firstname.lastname@example.org).
- I consent to receive services through MBL.
Method of payment:
- I authorize MBL to charge the credit card I have provided for payment for MBL’s services and any cancellation or other fees that I may incur as discussed in this agreement.
Cancellations and Other Fees:
I acknowledge that I can cancel my service enrollment at any time, but payment will be due in full for any services that were provided.
I agree to provide at least 48 hours’ notice if I need to cancel a private coaching appointment, if any.